Thursday, December 11, 2014

Feeling productive! Spaghetti squash with meat sauce, and avocado fries!


 If you hadn't heard, the Bay Area has been preparing for this major storm all week. It finally arrived last night, with some pretty major rain and winds. There was a lot of flooding in other areas, but our location in San Mateo seemed pretty tame. I even got a chance to go for a rainy and calm run.

I had gone at my lunch break, so my stomach was full of a bunch of random foods, and I had drank about two cups of coffee. As a result, I was pretty wired for my run which made it difficult to keep my heart rate down. Usually coffee doesn't effect me that much, but I think we made it extra strong and I don't usually run after letting it sink in for so long.

The run was slow, but I got to enjoy the rainy weather. I even looked over and saw this little sea lion face peek up at me. I never see them over in the bay area, so he must have made a special trip over with all of the extra rain water. I went to reach for my camera and try to take a photo through the plastic bag but he didn't resurface near me. Sooo you get a drawing of how I remember it. It was really damn cute. Yeah, I'm an artist...no this isn't my best work, but if you'd like to see more just go HERE.

I had the night to myself since my boyfriend had a long work dinner tonight. Normally I would just make myself some eggs or eat some tuna out of a pouch. You know, something really helpless and pathetic like that. I decided instead to use this spaghetti squash that's been sitting on our table for months, and make some pasta that way.

It was a success! The spaghetti squash has about 10 grams of carbohydrates per cup. The sauce I used had no sugar and was divine. I don't like sugar in my sauce anyway. I even got a chance to roast the seeds.

To end the night, I decided to toy with a recipe that I've seen floating around on pinterest and the internets. Avocado fries. I don't like avocado, but I really want to because it looks good and I know it's good for you. I just find it completely tasteless and the texture grosses me out. This recipe fixes all of those problems! The texture of the shredded coconut is so good, mixed with some spices like paprika and garlic. I didn't even need to fry it, these are just baked. I will be making these again for sure.

Here is the recipe I went off of, but I didn't do the step where I needed to fry them. The process was a little messy and time consuming, but it was definitely worth it!





0 comments:

Post a Comment