Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hoka One One Valor Update


Two lessons learned today. First, if you make a Twitter account you should probably check it. And second, shoe reviews are best done with angles of the entire shoe. Especially the sole.

This morning I had the spontaneous urge to check my runlittlegoat twitter account. I figured it was probably dormant, despite connecting all of my Instagram photos to it. I was almost right. It was almost lifeless, except a few posts directed at me to give an update on the Hoka One One Valors!

Remember these guys? Valors Vs Bondi3's

I figured that the only people reading my blog were my equally fitness and health crazed friends, and...my Mom. (Thanks Mom!). 

To make up for it, I'm going to give this person AKA Midpackbiped on Twitter, a quick recap on the Valors. 140 characters just did not cut it.

I was surprised to find that I've done over 400 miles in these shoes so far (thanks to Strava tracking them!), even with alternating them between the Hoka One One Clifton's (My previous "review" here)  and Altra Olympus's. By the way, the olympus shoes are a STEAL right now. 



I can't complain. The Valors have held up. Keep in mind though, that I'm somewhere between 105 and 110lbs, so I don't think I'm the best person to talk to about shoe wear and tear. It's clear that they have plenty of miles left in them.


The only thing I don't like about them, is the toe box. I REALLY wish they would take a hint from Altra and really give a toe box that let's your foot splay out. I don't think that I have an unusually wide foot, but I'm a bit sensitive to my toe room. Especially when I wear the Injinji toesocks, I find that my toes are uncomfortably cramped. I just said toe way too many times in this paragraph.

I DO love the upper. It's substantial in quality, but is also light and breathable. The colors are nice, but I've never been a huge fan of the Hoka Logo smeared all over the side. I don't mind it, I've learned to accept the fact that runner's can't choose a shoe primarily for their looks. They're definitely getting more fashionable as the years fly by, but I'd love to get rid of the giant logo.

And does anyone else think the bird flying in the "O" looks like a women's bikini? That's all I see. I bet you can't unsee it now, can you.

The ride is cushy and smooth, and I still reach for those on the days I need an extra soft footfall for my legs. 

Now, I have to say that I am getting confused with all of the different models they are putting out. I know that the Valors are comparable to the Bondi's, but I'm not sure how different it is from the Bondi4. Then there's the Vanquish, and Odyssey, and don't forget the Constant. I used to feel like I knew everything about Hokas, and could probably be a better sales person than most of the running store employees, but now I'm starting to lose that feeling. Too many to keep track of, all with very slight differences! 

Anyway, that's my updated review. These shoes will probably go into retirement if I choose to run with them in the AR50. It's scary that I don't know what shoes I want to run in yet. 

And I'll end with a new pair of shoes I received today! I got the fancy and sleek Skora Core's. Made from...goats. I guess it's fitting. Or is it? I will write a review for them soon, but it won't be running based I don't think since I'm not much of a minimalist. I wanted to get them just for wearing casually, because they are just that good looking. 

Now go follow me on Twitter!

Jack approves!

My Skora Core's. And our dirty old floor.





0 comments:

Post a Comment