Thursday, July 16, 2015

Who wears short shorts? (running shorts reviews)



Since I'm not famous, nor am I rich, I am giving reviews of some older (but still available) shorts out there for runners. I recently purchased the North Face Better Than Naked shorts, and that kind of spurred me on to writing about the three that are currently in my lineup. Keep in mind that I'm around 108lbs and 5'0".



I might as well start off with the Better than Naked shorts. I got them on clearance at Backcountry.com for $38.46. Lucky for me, the only size available for clearance was an XS. Normally they go for $54.95 which is pretty spendy. I remember hearing great things about them on a review from the Ginger Runner, and mentally dog-eared the short's style for when I had the money to spare.

I was excited to receive them, and noticed that the texture of the shorts was super light but kind of a wrinkled tissue paper feeling. Honestly, it kind of put me off that they were all wrinkled. Other than that, they looked pretty good, and fit true to size. I like the colors, although it's definitely not as bright as the website shows. Even my photos are a little brighter, I would say they're more of a wine color than purple.

Front view - one pocket to the side

two side mesh pockets (the bright purple) and one large zippered pocket

One of the main reasons I picked these shorts was because it has a lot of pockets! Not like I really need them, but it's nice to have them. There is a large stretchy zippered pocket in the back which easily holds my iphone 6 (with the case). Beside the main pocket, there are two mesh pockets to store gels. There is an additional front pocket that you can also fit a couple of gels in.


Kind of hard to see, but you can see there's no edge at the top of the shorts.

The liner is decent, nothing fancy. I don't like how there isn't a very defined edge at the top of the waistband. I like creases, not this whole...is the tie in or is it out kind of thing. I do like the length, but the papery light fabric doesn't hide much in the breeze if you're self conscious about that kind of thing. Or if you go rock climbing in them...which I did because I was too tired to care.

You can see two of the side pockets for gels



I gave them a test run this morning, an easy 5 mile MAF run. Right away I noticed kind of a snapping sensation between my legs. I thought it was the drawstring hitting them so I tied it up, but it kept happening. I realized it's because of the edge of the shorts! This is the major flaw of the shorts. I can't really tell how they did the edging..maybe a hot iron or glue, but it's a sharp and less flexible edging which resulted in kind of a snapping sensation when it hit my legs. It felt like mini whips, and the feel of it is reminiscent to those snap bracelets that we used to have as kids in the 90's. (obviously not that extreme)

razor sharp bottoms. 

A couple of miles in I kind of forgot about it, and I think I'll still wear them, but for those going on super long runs you might want to beware. I also think that if you have potential for chaffing in that area, that those sharp edges might actually cut. :S

Next up are these awesome Patagonia shorts that Jon surprised me with a while back. These are last year's models I think, but they are the Patagonia Strider shorts. On sale now for $26.95 from the original $40.00 price tag.

The Patagonia Strider Short

Strider short back

I never really wore them because honestly, when he got them for me, I had gained some weight and they were a bit tight for my preference. They're STILL a bit tight for me, but I think I can pull them off.



These shorts are nice and light! They also really did the waistband right, and they're really comfortable to wear. The yellow fabric is very thin with a kind of silky texture, and has this honey comb textured pattern that you can see in the right light.

They have a liner on the inside with one pocket. I would like to see more pockets on this, maybe one on the front or a zippered one on the back. Having it in the lining is kind of gross. Nobody wants your credit cards or dollars all soaked in butt sweat.



I think I've only done one run in these, but I can't say that I had any memorable complaints. The yellow shorts are really hard to match with though. I would buy them again, but maybe in an XS and a different color. They're on the right track for sure

Last but certainly not least is the Lululemon Speed Short! I should tell you that I got mine YEARS ago, so they may have changed. I'm reading the reviews now for the current version, and it appears that they have changed the style a bit to a longer length, so it's definitely recommended that you try them on before buying. I also feel like Lululemon sizes lately are shrinking, and my once size 2 is now a size 4 or 6. Maybe I'm just getting fatter.



Things I love about these shorts: the fabric! It's so soft, and smooth! There is no drawstring to get in the way, and the waistband is thick and not restricting. I hate those crinkly elastic bands. These shorts also have three pockets - a large zipper in the back that can fit credit cards and some dollahs, as well as two small front ones in the waist band (so things don't fall out) that can fit gels or...more credit cards. There is also a black lining.



I think that these are some of the best looking shorts out there too. I remember being at a race one day and seeing a girl with them on, and instantly wanting a pair myself. Lululemon knows how to design their stuff. It comes in an array of colors, and the seams are really flattering for your toosh. 

side view - pretty short!

Front view (messy mirror)

The negative side? They are $54 which is pretty steep for a pair of running shorts. I think they are totally worth it though, and even though I have had mine for about...4 years, they aren't showing very much sign of wear and tear at all. Maybe just a slight fabric color fade from the millions of washes they've been through, but even their signature logo on the back is standing up to the abuse! Definitely will buy again. Maybe a newer version so I can give you guys a proper review.

So that's all three shorts! Nothing too fancy, if you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them. I'm always looking for the next best thing, but found that I have enough shorts to keep me from having to do more than one load of laundry per week. I usually hardly wear any shorts, but it's been so hot here lately that I couldn't stand the thought of crops!

If you're new to running, the top things I look for in a new pair of shorts: flat waistband. Like I said, I hate the wrinkled up elastic bands. I prefer to have the least restriction around my waist as I can when I'm running. I also look for something that dries quickly, and is light. Last, I look for pockets! I want at least one pocket to put my spare key in, and a larger pocket to put some credit cards in is ideal. 

Hope you enjoyed this post! Trying to mix things up! I might take it easy on the running this week, but I might throw in a training post too. We are planning on doing a weighted hike (30lb backpack) instead, since we are going to start training to climb the mountaineer's route to Mt. Whitney. 

As always, I'm open to suggestions and questions, whether private or an entire blog post devoted to it. 






3 comments:

  1. Very thorough review - much appreciated! I'm a big fan of Oiselle Rogas - initially I went with the long ones, but now I have 2 pairs of the original (3 or 4" inseam); I'm too wimpy/conservative to go with the shortest Mac Rogas (1-2" inseam). I like that they have zippered pockets and wide waistbands. They aren't too baggy either -- I hate shorts that balloon out. And I only ever get them on sale, so that's how I get around the high prices. However, my one complaint is that they're a little too hot for summer running - especially long runs. I don't know if it's the material, or the liner, or the snug-ness, but I wish they were a bit lighter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and stylish shorts for girls i really like it but i am searching for workout or running shorts for men. Which is designed for performance and comfort,styles and sizes that will help my bro leave the other guys behind.and i found it on New balance india online athletic apparel shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These are fantastic! I want to wear such shorts but I really think I am fat for it right now. I bought work out clothes last week and I am going to the gym for reducing some of the stubborn fat on my body and I really wish to wear all of these one day. This is motivating!

    ReplyDelete