Saturday, February 7, 2015

The bufflehead! And my 24 miler recap



I might post again tomorrow, but I figured I'd write a little blurp on today's run. Oh, and here's a drawing I did of a bufflehead. I have a lot of time to look at the birds along the bay with all of this running back and forth, but I never get tired of seeing them. They vary so much from the standard seagull and raven, to crazy weird ones that I've never seen before. I'm going to start drawing all of my favorites until I get tired of it. I needed some inspiration to draw, so this will do nicely!
Today I did a 24 mile run. I took 2 days off between this and my last run because the weather yesterday was a bit all over the place. This morning I managed to only get rained on twice, but the temperatures were mild. It was a bit muggy for my taste, and I'm glad I got out the door at 7am because it started to get warm. 

I got these waterproof/wireless headphones for the purpose of running in the rain, and this was the first time I actually got to use them. Thump headphones always struck me as a little weird, because they seem unusually cheap, and I've also seen similar headphones under different names. I was always a little weary, but since they were so cheap I thought I'd try them out. I have both the original ThumpBlu headphones, and the Thumpblu XTREMES. The ThumpBlu ones have been a pleasant surprise! The charge has not died out on me yet, even on my 5+ hour runs. They are also quite comfortable and easy to use. The waterproof ones have a bit of a strange design, and it takes some getting used to, but they were also very comfortable on my long rainy run today. Two thumbs up! You have to go wireless...you just have to...

Back to the run. The first bit was pretty rough. I had a really hard time sleeping the night before, I think because of some new tea that I had tried that ended up being crazy caffeinated. All night I could actually feel my heart beating hard, so I had a feeling the run was going to be less than stellar. It started out rocky, and I was feeling a bit sick to my stomach.

Once things got going, I got into my groove and was able to hold a slow and steady pace for a while. I kept my heart lower at the start, because I knew I had many miles ahead of me and was bracing myself for my body to really lash out. I managed to keep my hr under 150 for most of the run, and only after maybe the 20 mile mark did it start to creep up. 

My previous 22 miler from 2 weeks ago
So some important improvements to take note of, compared to the 22 miler (shown above) I had two weeks ago. Not only did I go about 30 seconds per mile faster, but I also included a hill (that I had to hike up most of). I also had a heart beat average 3 beats slower on this 24 mile run, and my max was 11 beats lower (from 171 to 169).

Additionally, when I finished my run I was pleasantly surprised to see that I set a new half marathon PR of 2:18:47. Not too shabby considering it was on a 24 mile run! There's definitely a lot of progress between the two weeks, and I really couldn't be happier.


My New and Improved 24 miler from today
Nutrition wise, I drank a cup of decaffeinated coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil. That seemed to fuel me through almost the entire run, but I did stop at mile 20 to try out this Chocolate #9 gu made simply of Agave and cocoa. Excuse my language, but DAMN is that stuff good!!! I don't think I'll be using it for my future races since I'm not too crazy about Agave Syrup (all fructose), but it tasted like fudge syrup! I also have been horribly deprived of sugary tasty goodness, so it's highly possible that I'm delusional. If anyone knows of a super simple ingredient one with maybe honey and chocolate, let me know. Please.




Oh yeah, and my friends are making fun of my gross cookies that I made, but I think they're delicious! I think the problem is actually calling them cookies, since they aren't sweet but are instead savory. I had a feeling that they would be questionable, but they turned out really delicious and I've already eaten around....five. Bacon Onion Cookies! I'm going to eat more right now :|


0 comments:

Post a Comment