Thursday, June 18, 2015

Hills and Chicken Coops.


Well. I think Dr. Phil Maffetone would be disappointed with my recent activities. I've gone up and over my MAF zone multiple times recently, and I'm suffering from my first cold in a long time in result! Fortunately, I'm able to keep it kind of at arm's length, and it's pretty tame. I've been ODing on oregano oil (a couple drops of diluted oregano oil under the tongue 3x's a day), goat's colostrum (tiny scoop in shake), Bragg's apple cider vinegar (a tablespoon or two in a glass of warm, not hot, water) 3x's a day, and Emergen-C. Throw in a light run and a light weight session...Jon doesn't believe I even had a cold in the first place (even though he had it first). Good job, Me.

luckily I haven't need to resort to the Umcka yet
The past couple weeks have been all about hillwork! I'm trying to get my speed and endurance back on the uphills, and I think I'm progressing? The Double Dipsea race is this weekend, and I just want to survive through it.

Last week I did one of our old runs that I used to do often back in 2013 and 2014. It was the first hill run that I did  recently that I didn't need to stop and walk up. This hill is great because the grade isn't terrible but it's not easy either. I think it ranges around 8-9% for the first mile and a half, and the last mile to the top is about a 4% grade, just enough to open up the stride a bit. I was pretty pleased with this run, because I was feeling so weak on uphills.


This is the run I did last night to compare. The first time I did the run, I was going at a hard but not terribly hard effort. Last night's effort was much harder, yet I think there was still room to go faster. I always start the first mile out with a slow and MAF heart rate, but you can see at the super steep hill at the end, my heart rate hit 188! That last hill is between a 12%-19% grade, so it's a heart pumper.


Our main hill run was done at Huddart, where I smashed my last effort. I did this run a couple of weeks ago and was so weak I remember constantly stopping and walking. This time I made it about 4 miles in before I had to walk. 



I am obviously no pro at hill work, but I do have some advice that has helped me out tremendously this week. First, pump those arms! It helps SO MUCH. Really swing them and use momentum to get your legs up the hill. Secondly, make your stride smaller, like going down a gear on your bike. Small quick steps with some serious arm pumping will boost your endurance for long uphills.

I haven't been climbing as much as I'd like, running is taking priority this week. I did have to say goodbye to my climbing/weightlifting partner, Lin. She's been a joy to have around, and it was nice to have someone to do my weirdo workouts with. 

Happy Travels Lin!
I've been sticking with the bodybuilding.com regimin. I am excited to finally see some noticeable improvements. I can lift more weight with ease, and I think it helps with climbing and running.
I had to skip my workouts on Saturday because...well, I have a life! Not really, but we do need to finish this chicken coop we've been working on. Gotta take care of the homestead! 

My sad attempt at leg lifts. Jon thought it was funny that this is my "rest" day so he took this pic.

The chicken coop has been a LOT of work, with some long hours in the sun. Thankfully I think the weightlifting has helped me out, because I haven't been sore from the coop building. I guess that's one advantage.

Jon's picking some of our AWESOME lettuce! Sooo soft!

With the help of a good friend, and a lazy dog, we worked together to build the coop.

Getting close to completion!
Getting the chicks next week! Don't worry, you will hear all about it. Also, I plan on writing a recap from my crazy running weekend of back to back races at the Double Dispea and then the Summer Scamper! Please please consider donating to my fundraising page (the page works best in Firefox) for the Lucile Packard Children's Hospital! It's a truly wonderful cause, and I am almost to $500! 

Lastly, I will leave you with this tip that I found on NomNomPaleo's podcast. Buy these Garlic Gold Nuggets, and put them on EVERYTHING. Oh man they are sooo delicious, and make fried eggs even better somehow! They're a little pricey but worth it. My problem is that we use them up so fast! 






0 comments:

Post a Comment