Sunday, June 7, 2015

Montara Mountain, MAF, and my first real fall on the trails.


I'm confused. I posted about my chicken butchering experience but suddenly it's not showing my blog anymore and it reverted it to an old draft? Did anyone see that post? Am I going crazy?

Anyway, this post will be more running related, I promise. I got out four times this week, all different types of runs. It was good!

The first run was supposed to be an easy 6 mile MAF run. I've been struggling with MAF lately, and can't seem to slow myself down as slow as I used to be. My heart rate hovers around 151, and getting it down those two extra beats are really difficult for me. I think that's the result of adding in speedwork. My legs just have a difficult time switching gears.


I wasn't planning to run on Wednesday but it was National Running Day, how could I not? I was going to hop on the treadmill for an easy one miler after weightlifting and before climbing. I hate the treadmill with a fiery passion, so I was surprised when I kept going. My one miler turned into 2. Then I decided to do some intervals for old time's sake (that's what I used to do). I would run an easy 6mph for 2 minutes, then 8mph for 1 minute, then back to the 2 minutes easy and so on. I did that for an additional four miles.


So I guess I have a love hate relationship with treadmills. They are soft on the legs, and the new fancy treadmills at the gym are very luxurious and have these tiny little fans that cool the gross amounts of sweat pouring off my face. The best thing is that they have protruding handles that have speed adjustment buttons and elevation adjustment buttons, so I don't have to lean forward and button mash to change them. 

Friday I ran another easy 10k at MAF. It was going great until I kept hitting swarms of gnats. Every runner has probably gone through a swarm of gnats at one point or another, but this was disgusting. They cling to my arms and shirt as I run through (and probably my face and hair), so after frantically brushing one swarm off, I would hit another. And another. At the end of my run I hit about 10 in a row, and started to panic (hr up to 160) wondering if they were just following me or if I really was that unlucky. I guess that's what you get living near waste plants and water.

Yesterday (Saturday) Jon and I ran up Montara Mountain. He really has been aching to get in some vert to prepare for the Double Dipsea. I ran a half marathon up this mountain a couple of years ago. It was...memorable to say the least. With 2900' of gain, I remember hearing this ultra-marathoner tell me how it was an easy entry level trail. Then I cried a little inside. After a couple years and many more trails, I guess I would have to agree. It's a beautiful and mostly gentle trail. They even smoothed out all the rough sections and added in some soft dirt so it's easier than the first time I ran it. 

The clouds pour in!
A view of Pacifica from an overlook on Montara Mountain
I am unbelievably out of trail running shape. I was run/walking/finding-any-excuse-to-take-a-photo. Hills destroy me. I can run straight up for about a mile, but as soon as I start walking it's over. 

We ran to the top of Montara, passing through so many microclimates and different scenery. It started out a bit hot at the bottom, but you wind through some beautiful eucalyptus trees. 


As we climbed closer to the top we could feel the clouds pouring over the mountain tops, and the plants were lush and sprinkled with wildflowers. There was even a moment in the valley where the winds were strong, and the clouds were thick and cold. I loved it. I think it's so interesting how flowers like this just pop out of the ground in unexpected places.


Once we hit the summit, we ran back down to do another smaller loop to get in the extra elevation. Jon was flying, he's become such a great trail runner over the past couple of years, I'm so proud *sniff sniff*. I just watch him float up the mountain as I grunt and groan breaking into walks every .05 miles. Yes that's right, .05.

This part was rough...See Jon at the top?
I think this is the summit? 
Things I need to work on for trails: uphills, and downhills. Ha! While running downhill I was trying to think of leaning forward and moving my feet quick. The trail was mostly smooth, and soft dirt. About a mile away from the car, as I was doing probably an 8 min mile, my foot caught a raised tree root and I smashed into the ground. I remember just seeing a blur of trees and dirt as I face planted.

I screamed. I quickly assessed my body and realized that I probably hadn't broken any bones. I got up, brushed off all the dirt and leaves that I could, and then slowly meandered toward the car. I was able to break back into a slow jog, and then decided to just continue running after meeting back up with Jon. It sucked though. Everyone that I passed gave me concerned looks. I could not hide the amount of dirt that I was covered in.

Jon says I did what they call a "Yard Sail."
Lots of scrapes and bruises, but I'm okay! I didn't hit the elevation or mileage that I was aiming for (I really wanted to hit 3000ft), but the adrenaline was wearing off at the end and the pain was becoming more apparent. I did get in about 2600 ft and 12 miles, so I'll take it. 



I still have no idea how I'm going to manage the Double Dispea. Just thinking about it gives me anxiety. 4,500 feet with charmingly descriptive trail names such as "Cardiac" and "Insult". It's not going to be pretty. The fall certainly didn't boost my self esteem either.



And nowww I have whiplash. I guess I'm grateful that the knees are ok but bending my head down is awful. Whiplash was the last thing on my mind yesterday. Getting old, Folks.

My battle wounds
Today I am taking the day 100% off. All this weightlifting, running, and climbing makes for a very tiring week. It doesn't help that the weightlifting plan is now bumped up to 6 days a week. Hm. I'll probably have to adjust something...

BTW I do realize that when you click on the photos you can't see the enlarged version. I'm not very tech savvy, so if anyone has any ideas on how I can fix it I'd love to know! :D Otherwise I will just try to enlarge them in the blog.

That's all for now!



0 comments:

Post a Comment