Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Running up Mountains (baby ones) and my quest for the perfect vest.



Back to what this blog was originally about! RUNNING!

Running has taken its proper place back in my list of priorities. Since I had signed up for the North Face Endurance Challenge 50 Miler, I decided most of my training needs to be on hills and on trails.

First of all, let me go over my hydration pack woes. I have FOUR, count 'em, FOUR hydration packs. #1 is an old Nathan 2 liter vest that I kind of like, but it's a little heavy for my taste and is a bit awkward looking. It is a great pack for the cost, and I'm going to keep it around. #2 is my Ultraspire Spry vest, which I love love love, but the nozzle broke off recently and I've been to lazy to change it. I also find that it goes lopsided on me, I think because the straw pulls it over. And sometimes I think 1 liter just won't cut it. I also have vest #3 which is the Orange Mud Hydraquiver Single Barrel vest. It's OKAY. I like the concept, and love the bottle. It's so easy to refill. However, on the last two runs I used it on, I noticed my hair was super sticky and wet from the bottle. I am not sure if I left open the top, but oh man that was not fun. I kept ripping my hair on it because it was so sticky. Gross.



So enter vest #4 which is my Salomon S-Lab vest. It's great, except now that I'm 10 lbs lighter from last year, it is too big for me. When I got it, I was sized somewhere between the XXS and the XS/S, so I got the XS/S. Poor choice. I also didn't like the snap system in the front, and as great as those flexible bottles are, I find them pretty annoying. They get floppy when they're empty, and they're hard to put ice in and mix fluids in. Cleaning them is a pain, and I just don't see why everyone raves about them.

Oh, and it gave me a killer burn on my collarbones from being too large. By the end of the run, I just yanked the bottles out and ran with them in my hands so it would stop the chaffing. The burn was surprisingly deep, and I was hurting all week from that.



I am going to sell my Salomon Vest, and replace it with the Ultimate Direction Jenny Vesta. I tried it on, and the fit is great. I love how small it is, and how the bottles ride above the boobage, so you don't have that awkward look going on. I am not sure how I feel about the bottles that come with it, I hear a lot of people have issues with the caps being hard on the teeth, so I got two replacement nathan bottles with soft pull out valves that will fit. I also got a 1.5 Liter bladder for the back for super long runs. I will report to you guys next week. :)


It is week 3 of our 16 week training plan. I think my approach is going well. I am trying to do MAF runs during the week, and harder trail runs on the weekend. I even did hill repeats last week which were all at my MAF heart rate. It was a slow walk up hill and then a fast run downhill. I felt amazingly fresh doing that, compared with the other hill sprints I did the week before. That week I had ran fast up hill and then had to stop to catch my breath or walk downhill. Turns out I was only 30 seconds slower per mile with my MAF heart rate. A small price to pay for how much better I felt, and how much healthier my legs were for the week.

My hill sprints fast uphill- 735 feet gained

MAF Hill day - walking uphill - 778 feet gained

Doing hill repeats on this 50 foot hill wasn't too bad actually, especially if you have a sunset to watch the entire time. It is a good mental exercise as well, so I'm going to be including it once a week.


This weekend we conquered two peaks. One was Eagle Peak at Mt. Diablo. Jon and his sister were backpacking up, and I ran by myself. I would run a bit and then go back to check in with them, and then run farther. I ended up doing 11.5 miles and over 3,700 feet of elevation! I was mostly walking since the sections were pretty freaking steep. It was rewarding to get all of that elevation in. We even spotted a tarantula. They are known to come out around this time for mating season.

Part of the harder sections of the trail. So steep!

Photo Credit to Jon Martin


The next day we ran up Montara Mountain. Jon needed to get in 3000 feet for his training plan, and I needed to get in 8-9 miles for mine. I wasn't intending on doing so much elevation but I got over 2,300. I had a new technique of something between going all out and MAF. I would let my heart rate go to about 165-170 before I would walk, and then run again. I was basically walking for 10 steps then running for 10 and so on. I have to say, it felt GREAT. I had so much energy the entire day, never felt weak, and maintained a somewhat decent pace. This type of trail running is definitely going to be a regular technique for me from now on.





Last but not least, I had a run today that went really well! My heart rate was low, and even though it was pretty windy out, I was able to do a below MAF run at 145bpm, AND do a 10 min mile. Not sure how that happened, but I'm happy with it!


Tomorrow is hill day, Thursday is a fun run with the co-workers, and then this weekend Jon and I are planning on running up Mt. Tam for the first time! I have to say, I don't want to get all cheesy but I really am thankful for having Jon. How lucky am I to have a partner that I can go off and explore trails together with? Looking forward to taking the rest of the weekend to catch up on other things in life and to maybe even have a day where I can do completely nothing! I won't hold my breath though.

Have a great long weekend Everyone! Here's a recent photo of chickens just because...







0 comments:

Post a Comment