Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Valors have arrived!



I just got my new Hoka One One Valors in the mail today, from the ever so lovely Running Warehouse. I swear by them, and have only good things to say about them. They have an awesome 90 day no sweat return policy, as well as lightning fast free shipping and returns! Since I live nearby I get free overnight shipping. It's sort of amazing. Not to mention that they seem to select the best running products out there, and the prices are hard to beat!

And no, I don't work for them. But...call me RW! I LOVE YOU!

I love shoes. I am obsessed with learning about them for some reason, and could probably babble off a billion different brands and shoe styles, as well as their advantages/disadvantages and drops. I tried to get into the minimalist thing, but I really believe that my high and rigid arches works against me there and I always end up with shin splints. I still try to run in flatter shoes every now and then to keep my foot strength up, but for the long efforts I stick with my cushy shoes. 

Right now I'm alternating most between the Bondi3 and the Altra Olympus. I like the Olympus, but I find that out of the box they are pretty stiff and a bit heavy. It took me a long time to get my first pair to where I want them to be, and now I think they are the softest shoes ever! I have put in over 500 miles on them, so I retired them, but I wear them around town and am in heaven! I'm still breaking in the 2nd pair, so I'll probably retire my Bondi3's now.

I love Hokas. I can usually wear them straight out of the box for a half marathon (and many times, I've actually done that) and they are usually fine. I loved the Bondi2, but haven't been too crazy about the Bondi 3 shoe, which you can see on the right of the valor in the photos. The upper was too roomy and my foot felt very loose in them even though I ordered a half size smaller than I usually do for running shoes. I also DESPISE those speed laces, I don't know how they lasted so long on this particular pair. I think I lost the other ones.

The Valor seems to fix those issues, and the upper fit snugly and like a dream. I got them in a size 7, and while they look slightly larger, they actually fit the same length wise and feel perfectly cozy. One of the best improvements I think is the tongue. I hated the paper flat tongue of the Bondi3.

The height and drop is very similar. 35mm heel, 31mm forefoot, 4mm drop for the Valors and 35mm/31mm for the Bondi3. There is a bit more durability in the sole of the Valor, but it seems like most of the improvements are made to the upper. They are also TWO ounces lighter than the Bondi3's. Not to mention they just LOOK cooler in my opinion.

If it's anything like the Bondi, I expect a lot of soft cushy goodness on my first run. Maybe with the improved upper I will be less likely to get blisters. I always used to get blisters on the outside of my big toes when doing marathon distances.

Anyway, I just wanted to show them off before I get them dirty. I will be updating more on them later!




0 comments:

Post a Comment